Photobucket

So Many have asked me for a Hair Tutorial of my Big Curls so here I go! The team behind Toni&Guy have send me an arsenal of new products to fine tune my look even more (meaning more volume and a healthier Shine without a hair-sprayed look)

What you absolutely need for this Tutorial: Mouse, Toni&Guy Sculpting Powder, Curl Iron, Hair Spray, All other Products are a big plus to fight frizz and give you that Glamorous Shine!

before and after

1) Prep Your Hair

First things first, the best way to start a good-do is to really prep your hair.
I started by washing my hair with Toni&Guy Shampoo for Damaged Hair and using the Toni&Guy Reconstruction Mask for overall well taken care off Hair!

Very important: On damp towel-dried hair I used the Spritz&Shine liquid Mouse, work in a small amount from root to tip, after I blow dried my hair. The Mouse gives my hair the perfect body and shine to start with! Plus it really helps with the curls!

Last but not least I applied a few drops of Toni&Guy Shine & Anti-Frizz serum drops to the mid-lengths and ends of my Hair and the Toni&Guy Moisturising Shine Spray for a last polish.

All my Toni&Guy goodies!

2) Sculpting / Volume Powder

My absolute favorite Hair product in the world! I have been writing about it before and absolutely key to this tutorial since I’m really against teasing my hair!

Toni&Guy Sculpting Powder comes in a small blue tube and combats grease and creates Volume and Shape! I dust the powder directly at the roots and work it through with my fingers (I kind of massage the dusted root area so to speak)

Photobucket

I first part my hair in a crown section and 2 front sections. (think a Bouffant or Brigitte Bardot)
Instead of teasing the hair at the crown as done in a Bouffant I use the Sculpting Powder to dust a layer at the roots (work in a horizontal strip!) then I part the hair half way (between the Crown and to where I hold the hair) and dust another strip! I also dust at the foremost section of where my “bouffant” starts! Last I gently flip my hair back using a brush or fingers.

(Seriously, don’t worry about messing this part up! Just think “Brigitte Bardot” and apply the powder at the roots where you would otherwise tease your hair!)

Photobucket

I now start to dust the front left and right parts/sections of my hair with the Sculpting Powder!
I first dust the roots in the middle section (work vertical, from the front to the back) and then I dust the roots in 2 (or 3) sections on either side! I part my hair with my fingers or using a comb or brush, don’t worry about making neat side-sections, I do it very sloppy myself!

(Again! Seriously, don’t worry about messing this part up! Just think “Brigitte Bardot” and apply the powder at the roots where you would otherwise tease your hair!)

Photobucket

Now the Fun Part! gently Scruntch/ Massage the roots of your hair where you applied the powder, you should get a full blown Brigitte Bardot look! Without Teasing!

See, Brigitte Bardot 😉

3) Curl your Hair

Gently brush or comb your hair but don’t comb or brush your roots through (where you dusted the Sculpting Powder) also don’t worry about the volume, you will scrunch it back later!

Pin the front sections of your hair to the side or up since we are going to curl them last, also before curling prep your hair with a heat protector! I used the Toni&Guy Heat Protection Mist!

Photobucket

Start curling, it doesn’t matter if you start curling on the right or left side of your hair as long as curl going outward! (see close-up pic) I also keep my tips/ hair ends outside of the clamp, I don’t curl them since the hair ends would damage quickly because of the heat!

Photobucket

After curling the locks you can use Hair Spray on each individual lock or Spray the locks all together as you please! But you have to use Hair Spray to set the curls! I used Toni&Guy Firm Hold Hairspray.

Now we start to curl the front locks that were pinned to the sides, after curling these I spray all the locks again!

4) Brush-Out the Curls

Let the hair spray set just a little bit, make sure it’s dry.
We will now start Brushing out the curls! After Brushing I use Hair Spray in between and on the curls while I hold my hair up, this gives me loads of volume! Kind of setting the big fly-away fluffed up Curls!

5) The Side-Bang and Finishing Touch

I guess you could have made the side part before but I kind of like doing it last since I want to get it perfect while having that spontaneous fly-away feel!
I basically just flip a random side part over the either left or right side (whatever looks best on your face), this way I can really control how these locks will fall plus if really necessary I curl the side-lock-bang again (totally cheating, I know) When the side bang looks the way I like I use Hair Spray to set it although I don’t really spray at my roots to keep that soft natural look and feel!

I massage the hair roots again for our Brigitte Bardot volume and use very very sparingly the Moisturising Shine Spray to areas where the fluffed up curls turned matte and scrunch them up again.

I never ever use the Shine (Gloss) Spray near the top/roots since the Shine/Gloss tends to weigh down your hair! After glossing I use hair spray again!

6) Finito!

Et Voila!
Big Beautiful healthy looking hair with volume at the roots! You can scruntch/massage the roots of your hair during the day to re-vamp that volume!

You can find out more about all the Toni&Guy products on their website!

FOLLOW COCOROSA ON BLOGLOVIN’ FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

51 Comments on My Big Beautiful Curly Hair Tutorial

1. elisa
    November 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm (7 years ago)

Really love the hair! Too many people forget to brush out the curls and end up looking a bit too much like dolls! I also like how you emphasize the ‘spontaneous’ nature of your parting: it always looks best that way!

Elisa – Wandering Minds fashion
    blog.ourwanderingminds.com

2. Debbie
    November 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm (7 years ago)

Ohhh zo mooi joh! Wauw!! Bij mij blijven krullen nooit mooi zitten, misschien eens op zoek gaan naar een andere/betere? krultang..

x

3. cocorosa
    November 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm (7 years ago)

Debbie:

I have really really sleek and fine Hair myself! The curls never used to stay put but I discovered that using a Mouse and a good Hairspray is key! I really had to go for a good firm hold hairspray! Also the sculpting powder is a game changer!!

4. Anonymous
    November 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm (7 years ago)

@ihtz_ian You lucky , A true a waa flashlight phone , j/k

——————————————————
    lightsmade.com

5. Shini
    November 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm (7 years ago)

Suchh a great tutorial, I never know how to do it WITH products, so I take about forever to curl my hair, and then in about 10 minutes it’s straight again… thanks so much for the recommendations! xx

6. Sammy de Vries
    November 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm (7 years ago)

Wow! Dat is echt goed spul! Staat je ook superleuk die krullen!!

7. Marjolein @ NeverTooPolished.com
    November 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm (7 years ago)

Super usefull! Om eerlijk te zijn de beste Toni & Guy advertorial die ik tot nu toe gezien heb. Thanks!

Bises,

Marjolein
    nevertoopolished.com

8. ania cyk
    November 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm (7 years ago)

I love this tutorial ! good thing that you posted so many pictures! I love them all! definitly gonna try to do those curls soon xx

9. Viltė
    November 21, 2012 at 2:26 pm (7 years ago)

You’re gorgeous! :>

10. Anita
    November 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm (7 years ago)

Wauw that’s gorgeous! X

11. Laila Claessen
    November 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm (7 years ago)

dit haar staat je echt heel goed! Ik vind het ook super leuk dat je altijd lacht bij elk stapje 🙂
    ik schrijf sinds kort zelf ook een blog, ik kan nog wel wat tips gebruiken! zou je misschien even en kijkje willen nemen? ik ben heel erg benieuwd naar wat je ervan vind. liefs! laila

12. Arantza
    November 21, 2012 at 6:45 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks for the tip!

13. Anonymous
    November 21, 2012 at 6:55 pm (7 years ago)

omg, Brigitte Bardot look is splendid!

14. Anonymous
    November 21, 2012 at 7:20 pm (7 years ago)

Really wonderful!
    Hugs and kisses, Björn, Paul & Julia.

15. Fancy Melody
    November 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm (7 years ago)

You look beautiful <3 Thanks for the tutorial!

16. Elyne
    November 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm (7 years ago)

Prachtig resultaat, wat leuk dat je dit laat zien!

17. cocorosa
    November 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm (7 years ago)

Hannah Skowronski :

haha, yes the brushing out is sooooo important!

It is actually really simple! Use the sculpting powder, set curls and use hairspray, brush them out and use hair spray again.

I think using a good Sculpting/Volume powder is really important though unless you want to tease your hair!

I personally would use good products like Toni&Guy for giving me a good hold and shine! but I guess you could use cheaper products as well, personally I had really bad luck with cheaper hair sprays since they made my hair look dull and didn’t hold the curls 🙁 but that might be different on other hair colors and hair types. (I have very fine and thin hair)

18. cocorosa
    November 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm (7 years ago)

elisa :

Don’t be afraid to rigorously Brush Out the Curls! If you have used enough hairspray they will bounce back or you can scrunch them back again! It took me a while before I had the guts to really brush them out but the effect is so much better!

19. Viviask
    November 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm (7 years ago)

Wow it looks great! I have a karmin g3 clipless and I’m going to try this out right now.

20. Bex
    November 26, 2012 at 5:33 am (7 years ago)

you look stunning! Thanks for this post. I have been digging your blog for a year down. You always look amazing. Stay fab!

21. Lara Maria
    November 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm (7 years ago)

You look so natural and beautiful on this one. LOVE IT!